In-squared

I've been quietly working on a new short film over the last week or two. 

In-squared is my submission to Birkenhead International Film festivals https://www.biff-fest.com/ 30 second short film event coming in the new month or so.

Working on film with such a tight running time is a new thing for me. My projects usually drift into larger pieces and I really had to try and keep myself from drifting too far off the path I had created.

The Film

The film depicts a man (myself) inside a box. The idea for the film came from my own personal frustration in particular with how social media channels such as Instagram are cropping reality. We live in ultra technicolour, hi resolution 70mm film. The cropping of this world into a 1x1 box containing only what we choose to showcase is I feel feeding into the current political climate and the culture at large. We only see what we want to see, algorithms are filtering our information to limit further our exposure to the real world. What is beyond the edges of these squares of perfectly manicured life? Where is the nuance of life, the randomness of life, the grit and dirt of reality?

What if our lives actually existed in this 1x1 format? What if our lives were contained in a box with no communication from the outside? Where are our neighbours and friends? 

I guess I could just keep writing questions so I'll stop. 

Here's a few behind the scenes shots of the production and mood tests.


The Room



Captain Woodenface in the room

There is a horse in this room


The room, Behind the scenes 


Behind the Scenes making the room


Anyway check out https://www.biff-fest.com/ and be sure to watch as many of the films as you can!

Here's the film.

Patric




Comments

Popular Posts