Memoirs from the Island 1

My relationship with the Hilbre Island began about 10 years ago when I started work as a Beach Lifeguard for Wirral Council.

Wirral Beach Lifeguard Service 

From left to right: Cllr Tony Jones, Patric Rogers (me), Paddy Malone, Norman Proctor, Tim Fowler, Daniel Jones, Chris Hawes, Tony Murray, Kev, Ray Betley, Glyn Davies, Stuart Cooper, Mike Murray, Mike Oldrid, Higgins

I was fortunate to have been permanently placed at West Kirby working with 4 of the most amazing people I've ever had the privilege of meeting.  A solid team of 5 like minded men whose
love and care for the outdoors is clear the moment you meet them.

Back then Beach Lifeguards working the summer season at West Kirby would often be required to work on the island  when there were people staying on the island during the high tide. 

The whole Hilbre Island chain is a strange and magical place, but it's during the high tide when Hilbre really comes alive.

Approaching Little Eye, 2020

Each of the three Islands, Little Eye, Middle Eye, and Hilbre have their own character, feeling and energy. In the long distant past the islands would have been connected and the remains of these connections can be seen as you walk between the islands and occasionally if the sand is low enough these remains stick out like old fallen grave stones.

The islands feel utterly alien and ancient to me. 

I spent every summer for 7 years working on the island. Often alone and with nothing other than a radio, a flask and a book I was able to quietly explore the Islands to myself day after day in all weathers bathing in the energy of the island. 


Scars on Little Eye, 2020

The summer season was long, starting just before the easter school holidays and running till the end of September. During the summer school holidays most of the lifeguards would work 7 days a week for 6-7 weeks with no break. Each of us had our own reasons for working this way as we were able to take days off. Most of us didn't as though as the overtime pay was really good back then and it made working through worth while.

For me this meant I would be spending at least 4 hours most days for 6 weeks on the island in some kind of enforced retreat. 

Memoirs from the Island will be my personal recount of my time here. 



Comments

Popular Posts